Winning Environment: How to Create a Winning Environment (Part 1)
How to Recognize Your Environments
Working with your environment, instead of against it, is an easy way to get an extra edge in your business and in your life. Your environment always wins! Let me say that again. Your environment always wins. Eventually, you become what you surround yourself with, your environment sucks you in, infiltrates your habits and behaviors and changes your actions, thoughts, and even who you are.
If you don’t believe me look around. Notice groups of like-minded people grouping together. Notice friends with the same habits and hobbies and notice how you shift and change like a chameleon when you move from one environment to another.
It may not happen overnight, but slowly, inch by inch you become your environment.
So why not work with this idea, instead of against it? That way as your environment shapes you, you have the upper hand. When you take the lead and design a Winning Environment you get to enjoy the edge your competition may very well be missing.
What is an Environment?
The first step is simply to become more aware of the different environments you move through each day. You can do that by asking yourself several times throughout the day:
- What environment am I in right now? This will show you all the different environments you have already created to function in your life.
- How is my environment shaping me right now?
- Am I going upstream or downstream and what is moving me right now?
- What am I doing unconsciously (without even thinking)? How are my habits and behaviors being driven on auto-pilot by my environments?
As you ask these questions make a list of all the different environments in your life right now.
For example, when I first get up in the morning I head into my meditation area and meditate. Not only is the meditation area itself an environment (the cushion, blanket, timer) also the things I do before that move me into it are part of the environment (the time I need to get up, what clothes I put on, whether or not I eat or drink something, etc.) All of these things contribute together to create my meditation environment.
Then when I sit down in my office, I am in a work environment. However, even my work environment is made up of many different environments. When I am coaching clients I need a different environment than when I am teaching or doing admin. When I am doing BIG thinking and visionary work on my business I need an entirely different environment too.
How are you Functioning in your Environments
You can begin to break down the different environments in your day almost like chapters in a book. Keep the following in mind as you begin to define the ingredients of each environment.
- What is your part in this environment? What do you do and/or what is your objective when in this environment?
- Is there a physical location that suits this environment best?
- Can you play your part in this environment best if you are dressed a certain way?
- What moves you easily into this environment?
- How do you move best out of this environment?
- What would upgrade this environment even more?
- What is the best time to be in this environment?
- Do you need any props to perform in this environment?
Let’s go back to my meditation example:
- What is your part in this environment? What do you do and/or what is your objective when in this environment? Sit for 30 - 90 minutes meditating either in silence or while listening to a guided meditation. Objective: Raise my awareness of my inner dialogue and begin to tune more into the watcher.
- Is there a physical location that suits this environment best? Most of the year outside, except in winter when it's too cold. I like to sit on a bolster cushion or for longer sitting in a comfy chair. A blanket keeps me cozy.
- Can you play your part in this environment best if you are dressed a certain way? Cozy pajamas are easiest, however, if I’m honest I love to meditate right after a shower which would mean dressed.
- What moves you easily into this environment? Being able to see time on the clock so that I can get up in time. I prefer not to set an alarm. Acknowledging what time I want to get up the night before as I go to sleep. Clearing meditation room, ready and setting up bolster and blanket night before.
- How do you move best out of this environment? If I am outside, I enjoy drinking hot tea and sitting for a few minutes before moving into my next part of the day. I miss this when I am in inside.
- What is the best time to be in this environment? 5:15 - 5:30 am and if I am energized enough in the evening between 9 pm - 10 pm.
- Do you need any props to perform in this environment? Bolster cushion, blanket, timer, and sometimes headphones.
By now you should have a good sense of what an environment is made up of so that you can determine which are some of the most influential environments in your life and business.
In part 2 we will dive deeper into creating Winning Environments.
Take the Quiz
Which Type of Business Diva Are You?
Take the quiz to discover YOUR Business Diva type and get a customized list of the RIGHT ACTIONS to take at the RIGHT TIME to achieve the RESULTS you want!
- Are you a Visionary or perhaps an Icon?
- Maybe you're a Dynamic Diva or Sales Goddess?
- Do you have a knack for being a Get it Done Diva?
- Or perhaps you're more of a Million Dollar Diva, a Goddess of Transformation
- ...or you are ready to be a Legendary Diva?